Friday, October 3, 2008

Ooops!

So I woke up today and realized that I hadn't written in nearly a week.  Oops.  Since this is the case I will summarize what has happened in the last few days.  Peter has been getting better and better.  He handled himself really well and kept on his studies so that was good.  We also discovered that with a camera, Peter and a small window of health, malaria is rather funny.
In short, most of the rest of the week was spent in a daze of language learning.  We were under the impression earlier this week that we had only been alloted one month of courses which was somewhat terrifying as we are yet very early in the book.  This became rather stressful and caused us to speed up our lessons, perhaps a little too much.  It is fine now as we came to learn that we are budgeted for three months so we can take our time and really learn the language.  This was yet another opportunity for me to realize the extraordinary significance of communication.  If we would have simply spoken with our leaders instead of listening to rumors we would have avoided a fair amount of stress.  It's a good thing to realize. I am just way pumped and relieved now that we have it figured out.  Otherwise, I think the language learning is going rather well.  Thus far, the grammar seems nearly entirely logical.  The most challenging part is containing the large amount of vocab.  But even this is way fun.  It has been good to have the opportunity to speak Swahili a great deal outside of class.  Every trip to town reveals progress.  'Sgood.  I really enjoy learning language.  Oh and apparently I have moved on to sleep Swahili.  Peter and I are roommates and every night I do this annoying little lip smack click thing.  This would drive me crazy if it wasn't me making the irksome sound.  So, upon waking Peter informed me that in the middle of my sleep smacking I evidently asked "...kiko wapi?!"  This roughly translates to "Where is?!"  There is no subject.  But for those who have taken Swahili, you will recognize this from the question, "Choo kiko wapi?" Where is the bathroom?  Yes! Sleep Swahili.  My friends, this is why, this is why, this is indeed why I am hott.    
There was no internet for about 24 hours.  That was fine.  It did mess up my evening plans but it was really nice to spend time with people.  I do plenty of this being present here as I have been focused a fair amount on it but being forced to be present was pretty good.  I had no great Peter-esque revelations.  I just enjoyed my time here.
Yesterday I spent a good amount of time outside.  It is wonderful to be in a place where the people seem to have a relationship with the land other than one of domination.  There is still a bit of that.  But for the most part there is a mutual understanding between the people and the land  Both benefit from each other.  I have had plenty of time to think about this as our neighbors are doing doctoral work on environmental economics and sociology.  
Ok.  More later.

No comments: