Friday, October 24, 2008

Kitabu cha pili!!!

We have reached the second book in our Kiswahili course! Pretty good.  Unfortunately, we did move a little quickly through the last 5 lessons and suffered a little test score wise but it is ok.  Today we asked Moreto, our teacher, if we could slow down.  Now that we are through the first book there is no need to hurry at all.  We spent a lot more time in conversation during out lessons today which was really good. Language is so much easier to learn when it is being applied.  I have been talking a lot with Moreto, Eliude and Elibariki in the past few days.  Right now the conversations are mostly surface level but they are slowly growing in content.  Elibariki and I speak a lot during morning tea.  The conversation always comes back around to culture.  The theme seems to be that many things "are not the culture in Tanzania, but are becoming the culture."  He and I discuss music and clothing and relationships and this seems to always be the answer.  Tradition is changing so quickly as globalization touches down in the cultural scene.  

There are many things that I would have brought along if I knew they would be so useful.  I have spent much time discussing this with the other students.  One object that is frequently mentioned is a tape recorder. This was especially true a couple of mornings ago when I sat down to breakfast with Pr. Hafermann.  I swear that man spits gold.  Every conversation is filled with unbelievable insight but I can't remember half of what he says.  Normally it is about conflict in the area.  I think I am going to interview him and record it on my laptop soon.  

We are beginning to really get to know the European students here.  This past week we were teh only short course students along with the Danes.  They are pretty great.  It is refreshing to speak to them and have them so frequently thank us for not being the picture of the United States that they are often shown.  I guess it is because the four of us realize that "reality leans to the left."  Today, two Swiss students began class.  Some of you will be glad to know that we played HODI with them and Roohid tonight!! Oh and next week sometime there is a Diwali celebration at the Hindu temple and a couple of us will be accompanying Roohid and Mamka to the festival.  I am very excited about this.  

There were no great revelations yet this week that I want to share with YOU people. Ha.  Labda kesho.  Sijui.   Oh. Aaron, Eliude says "hi."  

No comments: