Thursday, September 18, 2008

Settling In

I suppose this is what one would call a normal day.  Nothing of too much consequence occurred.  There are rumors of a test tomorrow in our language course, so the students' attentions have all been bent in this direction.  I have really enjoyed learning the laguage thus far.  Of course, some things come with more ease than others but, as always in Tanzania habari ni nzuri.  I think we have great drive in learning the language due in part to the weekend we spent among the villages.  We got a taste of life without verbal communication and it was very difficult.  Because of this we are all breaking our necks to study the material.  
Concerning the language, it was striking to me today at afternoon tea that people are standing around conversing together in Swahili and a little English from Tanzania, Korea, the US, Japan, Germany, Brazil and India.  It is wonderful.
I don't think any of the Wartburg students are suffering too greatly of homesickness.  We certainly have our moments of longing for home but we find ways to make these thoughts quickly subside.  Today we found some time to play frisbee.  We also discovered that Peter has episodes of The Office on his computer.  We have made this known to the international community as a peek into American culture.  I think it is probably the best representation that we could provide.  
Tonight, while sitting in the common room, I was speaking with a couple of our teachers, Omega and Kedega (I probably butchered the spelling).  Suddenly news of Obama came on the tv screen.  Omega quickly shushed us and we all watched.  Afterwards, the teachers explained the news to us as it was in Kiswahili.  This led to a long discussion of Obama.  All were in support of him but many were very curious about what I had to say about it.  It is hard to put my contextual thoughts about politics into language that is easy to understand worldwide but I explained that the war was a mistake and needs to end, that Obama wants to tax people who actually have money, he wants to care for the poor and those without healthcare.  Omega noted that it came to the fact that the administration and ruling party cares about money and Obama cares about people.  I hope this sentiment comes true.  After living living 2/5 of my life under Bush I have to hope for change.  Omega explained that most people in TZ really want Obama, especially the young.  And although Bush has done well in TZ, most of the people in this developing nation "hate" him.  Know that the people of Tanzania are hoping and praying for change in the US and the world.  Bwana Yesu Asifiwe.  

No comments: