Tuesday, September 16, 2008

First and second Days of Class

Indeed it was! And my mind is rather tired now.  Class mixed with and earlier sunset than I am used to and the tail end of recovering from jet lag is somewhat taxing.  So here I am, tired and trying to form cohesive thoughts.  Though, it is certainly a fulfilling tired.  A well earned exhaustion.  
These last two days have begun with breakfast at the Hafermann's table.  It is good to start the day with them as they tend to impart bits of wisdom and points for reflection.  This wakes the mind before class.  Monday's impromptu  culture lesson was a discussion of Christian/Muslim relations in the area.  The village where we worshipped on Sunday was on the other side of a very Muslim area.  So this topic was fresh on our minds.  We learned that there was recently a Muslim conference at which there was much defamation of the Christian faith.  This act is against the law in Tanzania.  It is really something.  Defamation is illegal.  All in all, the Christians and Muslims get along very well while still maintaining strong separate identities. Apparently, the response of the Christians to this conference was a statement in which they said "Ok, we will use our gathering time to celebrate and worship.  You do what you do and we will do as we do."  This is also illustrated in another story we were told this morning.  The Christians often say "Bwana Asifiwe" (praise the Lord).  Recently, a group of Satanists adopted this saying only toward their own lord.  So the Christians began to say "Bwana Yesu Asifiwe."  This is a wonderful response.  It is as though the Christians are saying we will not attack you for this but we will stand up and declare that we are not the same as you.  Our identity is very important but we will not seek to harm you.  
On the second day, Pr. Hafermann told us about his plans for the day.  He spent it in a village that celebrates their tribal religion.  Some from the tribe have wanted to be baptized by their own choice (evangelism as done by the Lutherans in TZ seems to be very gentle.  No one is forced to do anything) but have not been allowed to do so by the patriarch.  Today he has summoned Pr. Hafermann.  I am interested to know how the day went.  I will let you know tomorrow.
Following breakfast we head to devotionals everyday.  The hymns are the best part.  Many of the instructors know the hymns by heart and have wonderfully intricate harmonies.  I had some trouble with today's message as at one point the speaker said "In order to receive eternal life you must obey the teachings."  This is not grace.  Yes the teachings are naturally follwed by Christians and the liberation we enjoy called eternal life starts now as one follows a path that is in the Kingdom, but as salvation is there is no such relationship.  There is nothing we do to earn grace and nothing we do ends grace.  This has been extended to us whether we like it or not.  God's love is annoying in that way.  Of course this was one position.  But it has just been bothering me a little.  It is the hardcore Lutheran in me coming out.  Maybe it is more specifically the Western Lutheran in me as Peter and I were speaking yesterday about the social ethical code being more central than lofty doctrine in TZ.  It seems to be oppo in the US.  This needs more reflection.
Class has been fine these past couple of days.  I really enjoy learning the language, especially at so fast a pace.  But it is a lot.  Personal practice is my favorite.  Everyday we get to sit in small groups and personally practice the lesson with a teacher and another student.  This is very helpful.  An interesting point arose today about the verb kuomba.  This is to ask, beg or pray.  The word pray is synonymous with ask or beg.  I wonder if this shapes the way that people here pray.  Is there more asking than in the United States?  
These things have brought up healthy discussion with some of the other students.  Yesterday we were all discussing works and today, prayer.  The people here are great to talk to.  Socializing is easy as everyone needs each other for help.  We all end up hanging out together.  Like last night we stayed for a long time with the German students and a couple of the teachers.  They called Peter God's gift to the guitar and said he sounded like Cat Stevens.  He appreciated this.  Also, I am excited to say that I met another Bright Eyes fan.  Conner is clearly beautiful throughout the world.  
There was one uncomfortable situation today that really threw me for a loop.  We were at the second tea with the German students when Peter asked one "You are drinking coffee? The tea is amazing."  She said "What are you English."  I jokingly said we are Americans so we are like mutts who drink everything.  She replied in a very bitter manner, "And I suppose you are proud of this.  There is nothing to be proud about in America anymore."  I felt myself get very angry so I walked away.  Now I am no flag waver..I prefer it upside down, but for some reason this made me very upset.  I am ashamed of much that has happened in our history but I am proud of the natural beauty and the people that I know.  I am proud that America has produced all of you.  My friends and family.  I am proud of Dr. King and Obama.  Ginsberg and Kerouac.  Among many others (I am not proud of the things these people had to fight against).  It then upset me that I was upset-I felt overly patriotic.  I kind of realized that at home I would have brushed this off but here I feel a special connection with my identity.  It is like how the identity of the Israelites as a people was formed by the Exodus and reformed by the Exile.  This is something of a feeling of exile.  A lot has happened in the past few days.  I am confident that future entries will not be as intensely long.  Have a good afternoon. 

2 comments:

New Life Lutheran Church said...

Tim,
Even when we have a problem with our nation and consumer culture deep down it is ours. Remember if we criticize it we ought to accept others critic, but they also must be willing to speak the truth in love about their own culture.
Grace is so hard for people to understand. I think it is because deep down we want to have a say. We want to control our own destiny and faith. Basically this is the sin that humanity has been dealing with throughout creation. "You will be like God."
Dad

Steph McDonald said...

I agree with your pops on this one, Tim. I'm very similar to you in my political leanings - I always have been. Yet whenever someone that's not "American" starts in on the country, I get very defensive. I guess it's basically part of one's identity. It's how we identify ourselves abroad to others, and it's how we unite ourselves when we're home. That and the language are really the only things we share anymore as a country, so it's a precious few similarities that we hang on to as tight as we can.