Thursday, November 20, 2008

Being for the benefit of Mr. Maybee

 Good evening all! I hope this finds you well. Today was another incredibly normal day.  I am simply writing because I realize that in three weeks I will not be here anymore and kind of want to capture most of what happens before I leave.  
It is so stinkin hot right now.  I was totally prepare for the heat and at home I really like it.  But it is crazy. I don't think I have stopped sweating in 48 hours.  The weather would not boher me so much if it weren't for the word that we have to accomplish during the day.  This is very good sitting around and visiting weather, but not good trying to pick up on new subtleties in a foreign language weather.  Ha.  But that is life I guess.  It is just odd to melt all the time.  To lay in bed for a nap and wake up twenty minutes later in a pool.  Really though, it doesn't take away from the incredible exerience at all.  Just makes it slower.  
By the mid afternoon lessons were kind of a joke.  We  are all ready to take our test and not stress about it anymore. In the last few weeks we have all improved immensely and since time is becoming short we spend most lessons just having discussions with our teacher Kadeghe who is this really incredible kid.  He is always willing to talk about Masai life and is so fun in the villages.  
Most of the day was spent in sweaty rest but this evening was really wonderful.  Steve and I went to go climb the water tower and watch the stars come out.  He got to the top and I asked how it was, "A little scary." he said as I was half way up.  At that point, hanging about 15 feet above the ground on a thin rusty ladder, I remembered that I am not so into heights.  The world kind of faded away and I froze. I haven't done that since I was really little.  Strange, I have overcome a lot of anxieties here: picking up chickens, being bit by crap, lonliness and solitude-the list goes on and on.  I guess heights isn't a fear that one just quits, ha.  SO after Steve peed from the top and almost stinkin hit me he cautiously climbed down and we headed to this open field by a baobob facing the mountains.  The stars were so bright and numerous.  Everything was so huge.  The montains fading against the night was beautiful.  It is a strange thing, seeing the stars from this angle.  They are noticeably different.  We watched shooting stars for about an hour and headed back to talk to Eliude a little bit.  We have almost an entire may term left, but it feels like we are leaving so soon.  The teachers and our other friends too are beginning to get all tender and sentimental-gross.  

No comments: